- M-F: Daily morning clinical toxicology rounds at Cook County Hospital, University of Illinois (UIC), and Illinois Poison Center (IPC)
- Currently zoom rounds
- Fellow-led teaching rounds, supervising rotating residents and students
- Every Monday: Journal Club, 3 articles discussed
- Every Wednesday: Fellow’s conference (fellow-developed content)
- Wednesday afternoon: Toxicology clinic at UIC
- Monthly fellow toxicology core content review/board preparation
- M-F: bedside consultations at UIC or Cook County
- Combined Emergency Medicine Residency – Toxicology case conferences at University of Illinois and Cook County Hospitals
- Twice yearly: Occupational Medicine – Toxicology conference
- Friday mornings: Addiction Clinic – Cook County Hospital
- Conference time: Annual North American Congress of Clinical Toxicology (NACCT), fall meeting
- Conference time: American College of Medical Toxicology (ACMT) Annual Scientific Meeting, spring meeting
- Quality projects and Lectures for IPC
The fellow provides bedside consultations for poisoned patients at Cook County Hospital and University of Illinois Hospital. The fellow acts as initial medical back-up for the Illinois Poison Center in the first year, and as intermediate back-up in the second year supervising residents on-call.
The fellow will see patients in ambulatory clinic settings on Wednesdays at UIC, supervised by Dr. Sean McCann and Dr. Trevonne Thompson
There will be opportunities to consult with local and regional governmental agencies.
Those fellows trained in Emergency Medicine work an average 6 shifts/month at Cook County Hospital Department of Emergency Medicine, or The University of Illinois Department of Emergency Medicine .
Weekly Fellowship Schedule
Monday: Didactic teaching rounds, journal club for all fellows, attendings, residents, and students
Tuesday: Didactic teaching rounds, resident-level educational session
Wednesday: AM Fellows conference, toxicology clinic in afternoon
Thursday: Didactic teaching rounds, fellow core content review session
Friday: Didactic teaching rounds, resident presentations
Core content review sessions for fellows
Division Meeting – updates on the fellowship program, led by Dr. Aks
The fellows are required to work on one research project per year, and are to have completed two minor and one major projects by the end of the fellowship.